Search This Blog

Sunday, April 17, 2011

I'm now a Mrs

Before I start my major travel diary of our honeymoon in New Zealand, it would be prudent to update my blog to account for the fact that Glen and I were married on April 3rd! It was such a fantastic day that I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

The week leading up to the wedding was pretty busy with last minute appointments and some family staying with us, and before we knew it the big weekend had arrived. After planning for 18 months and telling people we were getting married in April which seemed so far away, it started to feel surreal to change the answer to "next weekend", or "this Sunday".

On the Friday night before (April 1st) we had a BBQ at home for a few family and friends. Neither of us really wanted a big bucks or hens night so the BBQ was the go instead. Thanks to my awesome bridesmaids, we didn't even have to worry about setting up or cleaning up, and thanks to mother nature it was a cool but rain-free weekend.

On Saturday night Glen went to Mum and Dad's and Michelle, Maria and Susanna slept over for a girly night. We talked, ate, and painted some nails and I didn't sleep much at all but that was more from excitement than from nerves.

Sunday morning was an early start, with the girls from Crazy Beautiful arriving to do our hair and makeup around 9am. The flowers were soon delivered by Minnow on Seaview and Crazy Beautiful did a fantastic job on all us girls including the flowergirls. Everyone looked stunning. The morning flew and it wasn't long before Glenn Hawke arrived to take our photos. The limo from Renaissance Limousines arrived at 2pm and this was the only time the day dragged on - the time between the limo arriving and us actually leaving for the 3pm service.

Amazingly, I was not nervous at all all morning, until the limo pulled up at Sfera's. Then the nerves got me a little. Amicus Strings played beautiful music for our guests and before I knew it, it was time to walk down the aisle to a string quartet version of 'Today' by Smashing Pumpkins. Dad and I made it down the aisle without drama (thank God) and I finally got to hold Glen's hands and look into his calming eyes.

Diana Woods had prepared a beautiful ceremony. Somehow I managed not to shed any tears despite coming close a couple of times. With the formalities over and me now becoming Mrs Cunningham, we went and had photos taken at Penfold's Winery and Magill University before heading back to Sfera's Sunset Room for our reception.

Everything looked exactly as I'd imagined and it looked as though people were having a good time. We did try to get around and talk to everyone but unfortunately, even with not too many guests, we didn't get halfway around the room before people started leaving. I guess being a Sunday night made it difficult for some. The feedback from guests so far has been good so I hope it wasn't a dud of a night.

Our first dance was to 'Close to You' by the Carpenters and unfortunately, despite all the lessons from Dancecorp before the big day, our nerves still got the better of us and we stuffed up a few times hehehe. Oh well!

We spent the wedding night at Sfera's in a beautiful room with a massive spa which was fantastic for soothing my aching feet before bed. And, my dear husband, saved me from painful eye infection by spending about 20 minutes trying to remove my contact lenses for me which I was unable to do due to the false nails I'd had put on. Bless him, he succeeded! Not the most romantic way to spend our first moments alone as husband and wife though hahaha!

On Tuesday morning we were picked up from home to be taken to the airport at 8am (!) so we didn't have much time at home after the wedding at all. New Zealand has been amazing, but all that's to come in future blog posts. Photos will also be collated from friends who were at the wedding as well as Glenn Hawke when we return to Adelaide so will be posted in a few weeks.

If you made it to the end of this post, well done!

PS I really miss our cats :(

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Congratulations guys, can't wait to see some photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jules is a little jealous of the song choice u walked down the aisle to. We had the Amicus Strings play at our wedding, but did not think of getting them to play music from his favourite band! Very cool.... cant wait to the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It still feels like a dream...beautiful dream:)

    I mentioned this on my blog, but have to tell you this again...I would love to attend the same wedding once more if I can....it was that great;D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog, feel free to leave a comment below. I love hearing what you have to say :)