Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Format be damned

Yes yes, I realise I haven't done a weekly update in the correct format again. This time my excuse is it's been 3 weeks and so it would simply be too difficult. Also I didn't know what to say after Xy's last spooky post. Needless to say, I am concerned for my co-author's mental state. Just kidding, ofcourse Xy *giggles*.

Well as you can see by the time of my posting this, my sleeping patterns are very much out of whack. And who can we blame? Big Brother. The Up Late show is a hoot. I don't know what it is about Mike Goldman but he cracks me up and so I've been watching it, which means waking up with the alarm clock and cursing myself for staying up so late. In fact, I should be watching it right now, but after working on an assignment until around 11pm I got caught up checking my MySpace and then searching for people I knew in a past life (i.e. from school) and thus, I figured I should update my Blog finally, too. Seeing as how updating my Blog takes priority over watching Big Brother Up Late, which takes priority over sleeping, you can see I'm very poor at prioritising.

So anywho, I haven't been up to exciting things at all, I regret to inform you. We went out to Eric's a couple of weekends ago for dinner and some DVDs, it was Ivan's birthday last Friday so I had the day off work and showed him around a couple of Japanese stores in the city, but aside from that it's been business as usual. In other words, work, Japanese studies, reading, and TV shows. Yes, my life can be summarised into four broad categories it seems.

Now, a tangent.

It's strange, but for some reason lately I've been thinking a lot about the past. Like, one of my TAFE lecturers was talking about customers who may be lonely and so go into extended conversations with staff members and I remembered back in the day of working at Bi-Lo, there was this guy around 55, 60 years old who used to come down from the country every weekend and do his shopping with us and come through my checkout. But one day, he gave me a letter and a gift (I can't remember what it was, postcards from his town I think) and I got a little freaked. In hindsight the guy was probably just lonely, but at the time it troubled me. Anyway, I hadn't thought about him in years but that one TAFE lecture brought that old memory flooding back.

When we were at Eric's, when he'd finished fast forwarding The Big Lebowski, we flicked over to Rage who were playing a '20 years of Rage' special, and the 1997 songs really jogged my memory. I think, looking back, that time between the end of year 12 and the end of my first year of Uni was probably the most fun year of my life. Anyway, got to thinking about friends I don't speak to anymore and how I'd like to get back in touch with them, that kind of thing. Funny how the memory works...

Well, on that note I should stop putting off going to sleep I guess and perhaps go do it. Or catch the end of BB Up Late, either or.

2 comments:

  1. Just as a little aid to perspective.

    I have several times got in contact with old friends that I used to get along great with in and around highschool and have found the best way to do so is to get together for a day out and leave it at that.

    Exchange numbers and such because invariably they never seem to call you back after that, they would still be your everyday friends most times if they wanted to be.

    It is a sad but unfortunate fact and a catch up for nostalgias sake and to properly see that their lives are going well and to internally say goodbye I have found was the best thing to gain from the meetup.

    Either that or I had bastard friends in highschool *winks*.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the twilight hours, Mel! You may notice most of my posts are at around 3:20am. Nocturnal, baby!
    I agree with Xy about the friends thing - you tend to get nostalgic, meet up with them and most of the time it's just to say an "internal goodbye" as Xy said.

    Of course there are those friends that stick around, or you rekindle the flame with. Those are the good friends. Keep them.

    - G

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog, feel free to leave a comment below. I love hearing what you have to say :)