Search This Blog

Friday, June 20, 2003

Day Two - Thar be pythons!


You know it's a bad thing when you're on holidays and you're getting up earlier than when you're going to work. On the plus side, you get to do more things, but it just throws your body clock out of whack. Viktor and Germaine live in Kenmore in Brisbane, and we were heading out early to go to Australia Zoo, so I asked to be woken up at 6:30. But damn if Maria didn't get me up at 6am, so as you can imagine, Mel's grumpy side came out to play.

Anyway, we headed off and got to Australia Zoo by about 9am. Let me tell you, this was the best place they could ever have taken me. I am really into conservation, love Steve Irwin, and LOVE reptiles, so I was in heaven. I really liked the zoo because it wasn't like a zoo at all, meaning there were few bars and it felt really open. We saw the usual shows and things and then my favourite part of the day came - getting my photo taken with a reticulated python. Viktor wanted to hold it too so we stood in line together, and then just as she went to give us the snake, Germaine jumped in too, so the photo is with the three of us. Maria was too scared, hehehe. I'd scan it and upload it if I wasn't looking so awful in it :-P

So when they finally managed to drag me away from Australia Zoo, we went for a huge drive to the Sunshine Coast stopping at several lookouts along the way. My stupid memory means I can only remember us going to Gerrard's Lookout, driving through Montville, and stopping at Coolum Beach (where we saw some dolphins, w00t!). We went all the way to Noosa and had afternoon tea at Noosa National Park - what a beautiful place! I couldn't get over the beach in front of us with scrubland behind. Then we went for a walk down Hastings Street, bought an ice cream then went on the beach to eat it. I have decided that next time I travel, I will spend my time at Noosa.

After the long drive home we got some pizza, hired the crappy movie I Spy and then had an early night. Question - why do people who have spent so much money on a large TV and good DVD player have crappy little speakers? What's the point? And why do these same people not even know about watching things in Widescreen? When I asked them if the picture didn't seem stretched out to them at all they said no, so obviously they have never even heard of the concept of widescreen. What a waste! Oh, and while I'm in the "Tell it like it is" mood, here are a few more things I'd forgotten about QLD:
- People drive like maniacs! My cousin and uncle especially. At least 20kph above the speed limit, weaving through traffic, you know, the type of driving where you literally have to hold on for dear live. My aunty, ofcourse, is the complete polar opposite. At least 20kph below the speed limit, holding up traffic in the fast lane, not indicating at roundabouts, braking early and braking often. I tell you, I don't know how I survived the days. Methinks a hire car is in order for future trips.
- Traffic - gah! If I ever lived here I would take public transport to work I think, as peak hour extends over two hours it seems.
- On the good side though, it IS a beautiful green place. There's always somewhere nice nearby to go for walks.

Well that concludes Day Two I think. The last four days were full but not of anything overly exciting, so will probably write them all up in one go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog, feel free to leave a comment below. I love hearing what you have to say :)