Search This Blog

Saturday, June 21, 2003

Early mornings begone!


A 5:30am start to the third day of my holiday - can you believe it? Had to catch the first train into Nerang, rediculous. So we were greeted at Nerang by my aunt, went back and had breakfast, then went to the cemetary. You see, my cousin John died a couple of years ago on New Year's Eve and I never went to his funeral, so wanted to see his grave for some closure. Pretty sad, I know, but was kinda nice. After that we went for some retail therapy at a place called Harbour Town, which is like all these factory direct outlets in the one mall. I went nuts on the shopping, and had to buy an extra bag because i knew all the stuff wouldn't fit in my luggage. Went to bed quite late, considering the early start, and then couldn't get to sleep because at my aunt's I had to share a room with my sister - not good. My sister snores. Very. Loudly. And I had to share a bed with her too, which was even worse. She is very restless, and on more then one occasion I was woken up by her kicking or whatever the hell she was doing. And don't think dirty thoughts and be gross!

So had a sleep in on Day Four, and when I mean a sleep in, I mean I got up at 8am instead of 6am. Joy. My aunt loved having us girls there, we spoilt her a bit and made her breakfast and coffee, was nice. Another day of retail therapy was in order, this time at Pacific Fair, but today I limited myself to only a few purchases. My aunt bought me this really cool vase for my birthday too. Afterwards we went and had a picnic lunch at Broadbeach then went for a HUGE walk along the coastline. Was super nice. When we got home, my aunt and I took their dog, Lexie for a walk at the local park, so did stacks of walking. You'd think I could sleep a little better but no, not with Miss Snores-a-lot beside me.

Day Five was Seaworld Day, and since it didn't open until 10am, we got to sleep some more. Took stacks of photos, may put some up on here when I have the time, and I won't bore you with all the Seaworld chat right now. It's a theme park, it was fun, no need for nitty gritty details. Except to say the polar bears were gorgeous. I took almost a whole roll of film just on them, and know that when I get my photos back I will wonder why I took so many photos of the same freaking bears. Hehehe. My aunt and uncle said they'd teak us out for dinner, went to some place called Ashford (Aston?) Rd Seafood & Steak or something, so I thought "Excellent, I can order something healthy". So I order the grilled fish with sauce on the side, being good, then my aunt announces that the three of them will be sharing one meal - my meal for myself would have cost more than the three of theirs. So ofcourse, I felt really bad, and scrapped my order to share their fat-filled battered fish platter thingo. I was so pissed off. And quite rightly so, turns out I put on over a kilo while away, grr! Stupid fat loving family. I can't convey through writing how annoying the situation was.

The final day was spent at Robina Shopping Centre, just window shopping this time, and us shouting my aunt some lunch. We then packed, got on the train to the airport, hopped on the plane and got home a few hours later. The plane ride home seemed to last forever. I had a great holiday (despite my rants here), but next time I would prefer to go where I have no family, and also to go either alone or with my man. By the last couple of days, possibly due to lack of sleep, I was really quite annoyed with the family and wanted to be alone from them.

Here's an example of a typical conversation with my sister, but just as some background info, I dislocated my knee last August and it flares up on occasion. Ok, so we're at Seaworld, been walking all day, and we're about to leave but the souvenir shop at the exit doesn't have some stuff we wanted so we decide to go to the other one on the other side of the park. That's fine, I wanted something from their too. So, as we go, this is the basic conversation:
Maria: "If you want, I can go by myself and you can wait for me here"
Mel: "No, I want to go with you"
Maria: "But what about your knee? I'm sorry for making you walk so far"
Mel: "Maria, I'm fine, if I wasn't fine I would stay here and wait"
Maria: "I'm so sorry, sister" (she never calls me by my name, always calls me sister)
Mel: "I'm not gonna repeat myself, stop apologising and let's go"
Maria (about 30 seconds later): "But I feel so bad for your knee!"
Mel: "For fucks sake, I'll say it again - I'm not going to repeat myself again, I am FINE!"
We finally head off to the shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog, feel free to leave a comment below. I love hearing what you have to say :)