Search This Blog

Monday, June 20, 2005

Weekend of gecko woe

Well, the time since I last updated has been a bit stressful to say the least, all to do with my new geckos. I noticed on the first night that the little one, Geckotron, had a bit of a strange walk, with her front legs looking a bit rubbery. I finally called the person I bought them from (let's call her 'S') on Friday to see if she had noticed anything before selling them. She said she hadn't (to which I though 'bullshit') and we discussed the possibilities of what it might mean. We came to the conclusion that Geckotron has a calcium deficiency, and S conceded that it probably occurred when she put both geckos together and didn't make sure Geckotron was eating properly. So, I've now inherited a sick gecko, and needed to get her some calcium drops. They've been ordered and will hopefully be here by tomorrow so I can start administering it.

On top of all that, the two girls have been fighting. We'd noticed a bit of aggressive behaviour with the big one chasing the little one down, but on Saturday night it seems Geckotron finally fought back, taking a chunk of skin off Merckenschlager. This happened at about 1:30am, so I called a 24 hour emergency vet for advice, then tried to find a chemist that was open to get some Betadine. We discovered there aren't chemists open 24 hours in Adelaide any more. Joy. That night I separated the two by dividing their tank with cardboard.

On Sunday morning I ummed and ahhed about what to do for a good hour before calling S. It was cruel to keep them both in a small divided aquarium, so I thought I'd just have to get rid of one. Not an easy decision as I'm already attached to both of them. When I called S and told her what had happened she suggested separating the two until Geckotron grew to full size (about a year away). I told her that's great but my tank is too small for them like that, so she offered me a tank that she had spare for free. Lifesaver! I went and picked it up on Saturday morning (a 100Km round trip) and thus my plans to do nothing on Sunday fell through. They're both set up now, divided so they can no longer fight and should have enough room to be happy while I wait for the little one to grow. Crisis over!! Now I just need to cure this calcium deficiency. Hopefully it's not too late...

Apart from gecko woe the weekend was pretty good. On Saturday we went to Mum and Dad's for a family birthday lunch and it was really nice. I got vouchers galore (spent them today) and a pair of diamond earrings and was generally spoiled (as is necessary on one's birthday :D).

I'm leaving work in just under half an hour as today I get my stitches out. This is a good thing as I am no good at short showers. Hopefully this is the last I'll see of this doctor (although I guess that's dependant on the biopsy results).

I'm tired. The girls upstairs were arguing again last night. It's really not normal, if you hate each other so much why would you stay living there? And with them being the drama queens that they are, they don't simply yell at each other but also slam doors, which is just lovely for us people in the same block of flats. And then this morning at 6am they continued. I can't wait until we buy our own house...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog, feel free to leave a comment below. I love hearing what you have to say :)