Search This Blog

Thursday, November 20, 2003

Portrait of a Lady


When I was younger and trying to impress the boys (it never worked, the message here is never try), I would try to avoid summer days where I'd have to wear shorts without having shaved my legs. For a time while I was still in my early teens my mum would forbid me from shaving my legs too often, but once I got a little older she could no longer stop me, and so there'd rarely be stubble on days when I wore shorts.

These days I no longer shave because my skin has gotten all sensitive and used to break out in rashes, so now I wax. But in between waxes, the hair gets fairly long and so I keep it hidden behind pants or long skirts. But lately we've had really hot days here, so wearing cooler clothes has been essential. And then I realised how my attitudes had changed over the years - I had stubble but didn't care. I still went out shopping and everything and didn't care. Does age do this to women? Because sometimes my mum really lets herself go and doesn't care, and I was always embarressed for her. Anyway, thought it was rather amusing so forgive me for my "different" blog entry today. Let's move on.

Tuesday was my interview and I underestimated how long it would take to get there so I arrived 10 minutes late. I thought "Well, you're screwed Mel, may aswell turn back and go home", but I guess it's something that happens often because they totally didn't care. First I did this computer exercise and it was really easy thank goodness - was just testing to see if you knew how to do formulas and charts in Excel. Then the interview - 3 completely different personalities. When they set up these interviewing panels, do they do it so the people have different personalities or different work backgrounds, because I'm starting to wonder. One guy just joked around a lot (and sometimes stared at my chest, how rude), the second guy was just a nice friendly guy, and the third guy was so straight-faced the entire time I couldn't read whether he liked my answers or wasn't even listening. Interesting combo. But yeah, the interview went ok, I hate when they ask you something, you answer it, and then they say "Is there anything ELSE that...." because you obviously haven't given them the answer they wanted to hear. That happened once or twice, but the rest of it went well I think. One good sign in my opinion was afterwards one of the guys showed me where my office would be and stuff. But yeah, am trying to just stay centred and not think anything positive because chances are I won't get the friggin job so I don't want to be disappointed.

Apart from that I haven't been up to very much. You know what I've really missed when life got so busy? Reading. I never had time to read. Occasionally I could get through a book but my books have been piling up lately, being bought but not getting read. I guess one good thing has come out of working at Arkaba - the TV doesn't work so well in the staffroom so instead of spending lunchtime watching Jerry Springer, I now read. I've just finished The Hobbit and have just started reading the Diary of Anne Frank, and it's so good to read again! Yesterday I ordered a book online that you can't get here in Australia, Michelle will find this funny - it's written by Wil Wheaton, hahaha!

Anyways, have embarressed myself enough. Will people please comment again? I feel so unpopular (oh my god, I'm in high school again!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog, feel free to leave a comment below. I love hearing what you have to say :)