Search This Blog

Sunday, November 30, 2003

Burra - a hole one day, not so bad the next


This weekend it was time for me to revisit Burra, a place I'd labelled a hole after my last trip there involved a boring drive, shocking hayfever which developed into a flu, and backing my car into the only pole in all of Burra. I was determined this time around to enjoy myself, and returned to Burra armed with all the hayfever drugs a human being could take in one sitting.

I left on Friday shortly after work, and popped into Mum and Dad's on the way as they did my camping food shopping for me. There was enough food to feed an entire family for a week I think, but I took it all with me anyway. This time I went a different way and not only was the drive shorter but it was also a bit more scenic. This time the group had a Threatened Species Grant so we managed to book some caravans with the money, so it was more of a holiday then the camping trips I've become used to. I got there with about half hour of sunlight left and discovered everyone was across at the pub getting dinner. I'd already eaten but thought I'd go across there anyway and have a drink with them. On the way there, there was this big commotion at the Town Hall, very unusual to get more than 10 people in the one spot at Burra I think. It seems the local high school were having their formal and the entire town had come out to see the kids arrive at the hall. It was all very exciting. So I got to the pub, chatted and had a couple of drinks, and then the night was called to an end pretty early, with us retreating to our caravans at about 10pm. Doreen was the girl I was sharing my caravan with and she was really nice, so that was good. Ofcourse, the town hall was just across the creek so we were kept awake by the DJ for a while, but it wasn't too bad.

The next morning we got up and got ready and a few more people had joined us. At 8:30am we all hopped in cars and went to begin our Pygmy Bluetongue search. I love going to these things because I always get to meet new people, and so I hopped a ride with Chris so we could chat a bit. I'm on the committee with most of these people and don't even know them, so on these trips that's what I try and do. Anyways, we searched at various locations for 10 hours with no luck. 10 hours without a toilet sucks, and usually when you go camping a girl can find some alone time to take a squat behind some trees or something but this was Burra - grasslands as far as the eye can see with the ability of seeing anyone within, well, some distance. Anyway, that was my only real dilemma, but by the last hour my hayfever tablet had worn off and I was starting to get pretty bad, but thankfully not as bad as last time in Burra.

And I think my fear of spiders, while still present, fades somewhat when I'm put into situations where if I don't do something about them myself, no one else will help me. After our last site we were driving and I noticed a spider on my knee - it wasn't a big one but wasn't small either and had a fair sized body. Without even thinking, I slapped it into oblivion then flicked it off my knee, all casual-like. That is so not me. Perhaps I've improved, yay!

That night Zoe joined us in the caravan, I don't know how I feel about her. She can seem nice and then she'll make some curt remark, but I've learned not to bother with those people too much so I just acted normal around her. Except to bitch about it in this brief sentence, hahaha, guess it did bother me a little.

Anyway, better go, glad to be back. But yeah, Burra's not so bad, in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog, feel free to leave a comment below. I love hearing what you have to say :)