Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 07, 2004

The Art of Music


I am someone who loves listening to all types of different music, I always have. Now that I live on my own I don't need to worry about waking anyone up in the morning so while I'm getting ready I turn up my music, something that I hadn't been able to do for about 4 years. I never realised I missed it so much.

And now that I work in an office I can bring CDs in with me, put my headphones on and get lost in it all while I do my work (yes, I do actually do work here too, not just spend all my time on the net, hehehe).

There's not really one particular type of music I like, I can pretty much listen to anything. Sometimes it will be just for something catchy you can dance to, but most of the time the songs I get lost in are ones that have amazing lyrics. Ones that different people might get different interpretations over, that make you think about what they're saying. That's why I love bands like Pearl Jam, or people like Eminem, so much. Their music is their way of saying what's on their minds. Maybe it's because I like writing, that I like this type of music the best, I don't know.

Most of the time, songs with great lyrics are love songs, it's a common theme. Whether it's about being in love, losing your love or wanting them back, there's always those few songs that stand out, to make them a little different from the rest.

Last night I decided to listen to some Jeff Buckley which I hadn't listened to in ages. My favourite song of his was always The Last Goodbye and so I wouldn't pay much attention to his others, skipping over them to get to that one song. But last night I really listened and heard the most amazing song, called Hallelujah. It's about, well, I think it is anyway, the death of love, but despite all the pain, he's greatful to have experienced it. I found this site today which goes through the lyrics a bit more and gives its own interpretation of the song, which I pretty much agree with. Funny how this song, which isn't necessarily original in its intent, could grab my attention like that, but I guess it has to do with him having such a haunting voice.

Anyway, I know this is a tangent from my usual "what I did today" blogs but I have been listening to this song most of the day at work and wanted to write something about it since I'm obsessing about it so much :)

I'll get back to my regular blogging activities soon, I promise :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog, feel free to leave a comment below. I love hearing what you have to say :)