Search This Blog

Thursday, July 08, 2004

Invasion


Ok, the title is a little harsh but it's meant in good humour, since I'm in a funny sort of mood today. My parents are on holidays from work for a few weeks, and they just arrived in Berri about an hour ago. In fact, I only just got back from having lunch with them.

I thought they were only staying for a couple of days but they're staying until Wednesday apparently, which isn't so bad. They'll be at my house more than I will! I'll be with them tonight, and then tomorrow I make my regular pilgrimage back to Adelaide for the weekend. I could have stayed in Berri with them I suppose, but I need to get my car serviced ASAP and the next two weekends are pretty chockers, so this was the only time I could really do it. Plus, I haven't seen Ivan in over a week and am missing him. And, I have a lot of laundry to do too. So mum and dad will stay in Berri while I go back to Adelaide for the above reasons. I'll come back to Berri Sunday night, go to work Monday, and then Monday night I'm heading back to Adelaide again. Work is getting a new Licensing Database so I have training in the city Tuesday - Thursday. I would have had to come back to Berri on Friday again, but the boss said I could work out of the Adelaide office for the day, so I won't be back home until the following Sunday. Got all that? Hehehe :)

In a nutshell, mum and dad staying so long won't be so bad because I'll only be seeing them for two nights over that time. I know that sounds terrible. I do love my parents being with me. It reminds me of being young again, when all they did was for us kids. I mean, they still do that, they look after us beyond themselves I think, but you know what I mean? When you're living at home it's like you get spoiled every day. Mum making you a coffee or toast in the morning, getting home and having your dinner on the table, all that sorta stuff I took for granted. Like, just now, I went home to have lunch with them. They had only just arrived but mum already had the kettle going and had sandwiches ready, and dad was dismantling the heater to get the gas bottle refilled to make the house warm. It's so nice to have that.

Ofcourse, there was always the other side, which still drives me crazy and which is why I know that now that I've tasted the independence (it's been over 4 years since I moved out), I could never go back. They are so loving that it becomes suffocating after a while. They want everything in life to be perfect for us kids. So often, if you do things a little differently, it's "Why don't you do it this way?", or "You know, you really should.....", or, and this is the worst, the changes will be made, to your own things, without your knowledge.

I don't want to sound ungrateful, and the love I have for my parents is immense. If anyone ever did anything to hurt them, I would be on that person in a heartbeat. I just don't think I can handle having them in my face every day again. That's sorta normal, isn't it?

So anyway, I will be online intermittently for the next week and a half. I'm not going to log on from home while they're visiting, I'd rather spend the time chatting to them, but I'll be checking in from work and from Adelaide over the weekend no doubt.

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog, feel free to leave a comment below. I love hearing what you have to say :)