Search This Blog

Sunday, July 25, 2004

Soundtrack to my life


Stand by Me by Ben. E. King - Reminds me of Michelle, and Year 7 at Brahma Lodge Primary. We only had the one Year 7 class and we were all close. Michelle learned how to play it on piano, showed me, and then we played it in class and on camp. The soundtrack to the best school year of my life.

Black or White by Michael Jackson - Another Year 7 song, because our class did a dance to it at assembly. I remember Mr Van den Berg saying, "Just remember: it's left, it's right".

State of Love and Trust by Pearl Jam - Driving to University with Susan in peak hour traffic, with the song blaring and us screaming out the lyrics. I remember looking over at other drivers frustrated with the traffic piled up, and we were in our own happy world.

Animal by Pearl Jam - Spending a week in Goolwa with Natasha at her Grandma's house, walking to the beach one day with this song in our heads, and me teaching Natasha how to say "that guy is hot" in Hungarian. We demonstrated my teachings when a set of super sexy surfer twins appeared and made our day (I can still remember what they looked like).

Earth Song by Michael Jackson - The song Emil got buried to. He was the first death I'd experienced, and his was a truly sad one. I haven't been able to listen to it since.

Killing Me Softly by The Fugees - I didn't want to go to my Year 12 formal, and Emil dying just 3 days before it made me want to go even less. But I ended up having a good time, and this was the last song of the night, and, for no reason and without any word, everyone just stood in a massive circle to this one on the dance floor.

Breathe by The Prodigy - The summer after year 12 finished, and the Big Day Out with Sarah, Susan and Darren, and us girls going nuts to this song when The Prodigy came on stage.

It's Now or Never by Elvis Presley - When my parents dance to this song, it's one of those rare moments that I see how much they really do love each other.

Sway by Bic Runga - The song Ivan sent me when he was trying to woo me. It worked.

Sorrow by David Bowie - Reminds me of the Powderfinger concert at Victor Harbour because they did a cover version of the song. Despite the title it reminds me of the best day of my life so far, as it was the day Ivan and I made things official, and so celebrate our anniversary on that date. And no other Powderfinger concert we've been to since was that good.

Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden - Ivan and I had dinner with Des and Belinda and after dinner we played "guess that midi" where Des would pick a midi from his computer and whoever guessed it first won nothing, but it was fun anyway. When the midi for this came on the start of it sounded like a cat being tortured and we all just burst into laughter.

500 Miles by The Proclaimers - I've mentioned this one before in my blog. The song that Elita, Kelly and I sang to Karaoke at Miriam's 21st, although I use the word "sang" loosely.

Hello by Lionel Ritchie - Having to listen to easy listening radio stations when you work at a supermarket can make you crazy. I worked in the cash office and so the office was like a safe, and Elita used to come to my little window and sing this song to make me laugh.

Hailie's Song by Eminem - Driving with Michelle on the way back from visiting my parents with Jacob, and Michelle telling me how much she loved this song off his album.

Black by Pearl Jam - Reminds me of them singing this song at their concert last year, and I turned around and saw the sadness in Ivan's eyes.

Lovetrap by Nikola Sarcevic - Bron plays this at work and we sing to it in hushed tones. It gets played at least once a week, at one stage getting played several times a day. We realised it's somewhat hard to sing it in hushed tones, especially the part where he says "Well that's a typical syndrome, when a heart gets broken....BROKEN OH YEAH!".

I am 100% sure I've forgotten some, I'll have to add to this list when I get reminded of others...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog, feel free to leave a comment below. I love hearing what you have to say :)