Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2004

The Week That Was


It has been a while since I had a chance to update my blog, so this will be a pretty long entry. I've come down with a bit of a cold and so didn't go to work today, so I'm writing this in notepad at the moment and will upload it tonight. There's a lot to say and I don't want to miss anything out.

So, where to begin? Well I had been in Adelaide for the week, having headed back there last Monday and only getting home last night. We're getting (or, have got, since it was supposed to go live today) a new licensing database at work so for 3 days last week I had to head into town for training on the new system. It seems, as with all changes, it's great in theory but in practice, there was a lot more we could do on the old system. In some ways it will make things a lot easier, but setting it up to do those things easily is going to take a lot of work, so the next few weeks, or maybe months, are not going to be much fun at all. Oh well, I'm just a pleb that works there, after all.

It was Maria's birthday on Thursday and she was having her birthday dinner on Friday, so rather than come back to Berri the boss said I could work out of the Adelaide office on Friday so that was handy. It just wasn't the same though. I mean, we get our work done here in the Berri office too but it's a far more relaxed environment, like, we will get up and have a chat or a joke, go to lunch together, things like that. It was only one day but I missed it. I did, however, get phone calls and emails from the girls, which would have been great if it weren't for the content. With the good aspects of the Berri office comes the bad side of it too - the place is shocking for gossip, and this week it was Jo on the receiving end. So in my ear I had her blaming Bron, and in my emails I had Bron proclaiming innocence, with me telling them both to talk it over together. This seems to be a regular thing with me - I seem to be the person people like to come to talk to when they have a problem. I like listening, and I guess people tell me because they know I'll listen, offer a bit of advice and that they can trust me, but sometimes it is enough to drive me crazy. My parents do it to me all the time too. Like the time they took a holiday together, fought almost the entire time, and when they returned each one sat me down, individually, and told me why the other one was wrong. An awkward position to put your kids into. And now it was my two closest work friends.

Anyway, moving on from that, Maria's birthday dinner was really lovely. Everyone she was expecting turned up which is always a good sign and it seemed everyone had a good time. My sister is 6 years older than me and lives at home, and so, because my parents will do anything for us children, she has never had to pay any form of board or anything, so, she has enough money to be able to buy herself anything she wants. So I really had no idea what to get her. I decided to give her something from the heart, and seeing as I love writing so much, I made up this little book for her and I wrote in it all the great times I remember spending with her. Something she can read for those times when she's feeling down, to hopefully make her laugh and cheer her up. Thankfully, it was well received, and I loved doing it.

Which leads me to a bit of a digression here, but today I watched the great and powerful Dr Phil, and him and his wife were doing this Valentine's Day special where they were answering questions (go figure) on what you can do for each other to make the day more special, etc. One of the couples hit home with me, because they talked about how they are on a low salary and so have no spending money, and had decided not to buy each other gifts, so what could they do to still have a good Valentine's Day. Ofcourse, the answer was to do things that come from the heart, not from the wallet, that if you had no money you could still write sweet letters, pick flowers or make dinner or something to make the other person feel important. All obvious things I thought, so let's hope Ivan watched the program and took some notes or something. I don't like to bag him publicly on my blog so I mean this in some good humour, because he actually does things like that sometimes. But that damn show just makes you think how much you miss it. I mean, back when he was wooing me he did those sorts of things so often that at one point I felt smothered and had to ask him to tone it down. BIG mistake. Seems that was the cue to stop completely, wish I could go back and change that day, honestly! Teach me to speak my mind, hehehe.

Anyway, that was a tangent I wasn't planning on so back to the blog. The rest of the weekend was pretty quiet, especially considering I didn't get up until 2:30pm on Saturday, which shocked and disgusted me. What a waste of the day! We watched a couple of movies over the weekend but didn't do much else. I finally got to see Spiderman 2 which I absolutely LOVED, and then we saw The Chronicles of Riddick, which is Vin Diesel's character from Pitch Black, which I started off liking and in the end it was just average.

Um, I've just written a stackload more but I'm putting that in a separate entry rather than just tacking it onto the end of this one, so stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog, feel free to leave a comment below. I love hearing what you have to say :)