Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Reflections of a childish mind


Yesterday I was feeling a little sorry for myself and spent a lot of time thinking, and for some reason thoughts of my childhood popped into my head. I don't know why, maybe it was my subconscious trying to cheer me up, but whatever the reason, it worked a bit, so I thought I'd share my thoughts.

Apparently, when I hit the Toddler bracket, I became a real little shit. Mum could not take me shopping without putting me on one of those leash things, otherwise she would spend all day chasing me around the shopping centre. Whenever she would try to tell me off, apparently I used to answer back and she had to turn away so that I wouldn't see her laughing. Knowing that I was a terror when younger surprises a lot of people because I grew up so dorky.

I went to what would be considered a rough school but my parents brought me up well enough to not get mixed in with anything too bad. I kept my grades excellent until Year 12 where they suffered a bit but still weren't too bad, and I certainly was never around the popular group so there was probably no real chance for me to get involved in anything too rebellious.

Probably the naughtiest thing I can think of (well, until later in life anyway) was when me and Michelle were kids, I can't remember how old we would have been but if I saw kids doing this today I'd be tempted to go over and give them a stern talking to.

A bit of background first. My parent's live on a main road that leads into the heart of Adelaide, but they live on the little service road that runs alongside it. But the actual main road is right there, just a nature strip and a bit of wire fence separating the service road and the main road. It has 2 lanes of traffic going in both directions and gets really congested.

Anyway, Michelle and I used to play badminton out the front, on the little service road, but sometimes just playing badminton with a shuttlecock wasn't enough. The nature strip separating the main and service roads also had lots of little pebbles on it so when the boredom sunk in we would use the racquets to hit these pebbles over the main road. From memory, we did it when the cars weren't going past so we could see how far we could hit them, but I remember at least on one occasion hitting a pebble into a passing vehicle. I remember we got scared and stopped on that particular day.

But yeah, that's about as rebellious as I got (until later years) and for some reason that memory popped into my head yesterday. Oh, to be young again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog, feel free to leave a comment below. I love hearing what you have to say :)