Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2004

Hick Town


I like to think that Berri is up with the times and isn't really a country town in the traditional sense, but sometimes I'm reminded that it still is regional and sometimes a bit backward.

For example, when in a changing room of a store a couple of weeks ago I heard two women talking in the next booth. When one said "I dunno, $16 for a skirt is still a bit rich" I almost wanted to scream "You stupid woman, you'd never find a skirt that cheap in the city!". The fact that a town can have no traffic lights whatsoever also reminds me.

But when I read the story in the Murray Pioneer the other day about how the Riverland's first adult shop would be opening tomorrow in Renmark and how the owner is expecting backlash, I wondered just how backward this town is. Surely people here have sex! Sorry to be so blunt but truly, I hate censorship of any kind and the thought that it's such a big deal if an adult store opens in the region is really unusual to me. It's an adult shop anyway, it's still illegal for them to sell to minors, and if adults wish to purchase things, who cares? I've never been in one myself (and can't really picture walking into this one with the possibility of running into someone I might know) but I don't see the problem.

Damn Hick Town!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog, feel free to leave a comment below. I love hearing what you have to say :)