Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

History never repeats


Going to Glenelg on the weekend raised a lot of conversation dealing with the way the place has changed so much. The conversation was also had with my parents, where a lot of reminiscing about when my sister and I were children and we used to go to the beach was had. I thought I had may as well write the stuff down, before I get too forgetful in my old age.

My parents live in the northern suburbs, so the closest beach to them has always been Semaphore, but when we were children, my parents always took us to Glenelg because it was more of a family beach. Some of the things I remember about it are:

- as a family, we didn't spend too much time laying on the sand. Instead, we laid out a blanket on this grassy area they had and stayed under the shade of the trees there until we wanted to go down for a swim.

- when you got out of the water you could use the outdoor showers to rinse off, just next to the grassy area.

- whenever I got tired of swimming there was this big arcade next to the carpark. Not only could you play on arcade games but there was also a big Ferris Wheel as well as other rides and the Fun House.

- the arcades were cool but I couldn't wait until I was old enough to be allowed to go on the waterslides at Magic Mountain.

- next to our picnic area was a van that used to sell the yummiest cinnamon donuts.

- my sister and I used to love the Skycycles at Magic Mountain, and my dad and I would love the Bumper Boats.

- In year 12 and in the summer holidays afterwards, Susan, Sarah and I would often just drive to Glenelg to walk along the beach and grab a hot dog.

These days, none of the above things can really be done, and it's really sad. The grassed area no longer exists, the arcades are long gone as well as the rides, I have no idea what happened to the little donut van, and there is no quick rinse off using an outdoor shower. Magic Mountain has been torn down, and the carpark doesn't even exist. All in the name of progress hey?

Really, I think it's a shame to lose all of those things because the council decided to make the place one for apartment buildings and a marina, and far too many fancy restaurants. It's no longer a family beach. In fact, with all the apartments, the beach almost looks like a private one. What are the kids supposed to do while their parents sip on a latte? Oh, play on their boat I suppose. I understand the need for upgrades but they've lost everything that made the place the way it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog, feel free to leave a comment below. I love hearing what you have to say :)